If you are in need of a roof replacement, you will want to establish the pros and cons of using tile roofing in Florida. Tile roofing has emerged as one of the most popular new roofing types. It is statically pleasing and it works in a variety of homes. Here are some of the pros and cons of tile roofing and what you should know.
Tile Roofing Pros
- Tile roofs can last a very long time. Your new tile roof can last over 50 years with a professional installation.
- They’re heavily durable and weather resistant. Most types of concrete tiles are known for their durability and they can withstand high winds, hail, hurricanes and more.
- Minimal maintenance is required because of their durability and resistance. They are even pest resistant because they are too tough for pests to get through.
- They can reduce your energy costs because of the gap under the tiles which can block out the sun’s heat and prevent it from transferring into your attic.
- They come in many colors including clay and concrete.
The Cons of Tile Roofing
- Tile roofing can be highly brittle and this means that if they are impacted by items like branches falling on your roof, you could face cracking or a complete break on your roof.
- Tile can be a heavy material and this often requires structural reinforcement for your roof.
- Tile roofing is one of the most expensive types of roofing materials on the market. You’ll save money over the long term, but if you have a small budget for your roof replacement, shingles may be a better option.
- Tiles can get dirty which leads to streaking and algae growth. They require regular cleaning with a prevention solution.
- They need to be installed by a professional with the right procedures.
Keep some of these top ideas in mind regarding tile roofing. If you’re interested in learning more about tile roof installations, contact us today.
This post was written by Ted Williams! Ted is the owner of A Old Time Roofing which is the premier Pinellas County roofing contractor! Ted is a Master Elite Weather Stopper GAF Roofing Contractor, a double award winner of Best Steep-Slope Contractor from GAF and achiever of Master Elite Consumer Protection Excellence from GAF. He has been serving the Pinellas County area since 1978. A Old Time Roofing has been a tradition in quality workmanship, servicing residential and commercial properties.